Next Freshmeat: Our next freshmeat session begins January 15th, 2017. To learn more attend our recruitment information night: 6pm December 7th, 250 Park Ave. RSVP to our freshmeat co-ordinator. Contact us at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions for Skaters
- Who can play?
- Do I need sports experience to play?
- What equipment do I need and where can I get it?
- How much does it cost? Is there a membership Fee?
- How many months in the year does derby run? When can I join?
- What is freshmeat?
- Is the track banked?
- What the process for becoming a derby girl?
- When is practice?
Who can play?
Skaters must be female and 18+.
Do I need sports experience to play?
There is no experience necessary and we will teach you everything you need to know to play roller derby. You will find derby girls are very diverse. Many skaters joining our freashmeat program have little or no sports experience.
What equipment do I need and where can I get it?
You will need (from the top down)
For new skaters, the simplest method to acquire the necessary equipment is to purchase a “freshmeat” starter package from a roller derby equipment website. These packages are generally the most economical option and include equipment chosen with beginner athletes in mind.
How much does it cost? Is there a membership Fee?
Freshmeat equipment packages start around $250 to $300. There is a yearly insurance cost of $50 which is purchased through the league.
Once you are ready to join the league, there is a monthly $30 membership fee. Once you are drafted, you will need to purchase a team jersey.
How many months in the year does derby run? When can I join?
Formal practices and league scrimmages run from January to November. Our home teams hold a championship from May through August. Our A Team, Babes of Thunder, will travel throughout the year.
Before you can join the league, you must pass freshmeat training and basic skills training. These are typically held twice a year in October and January.
What is freshmeat?
New skaters are lovingly referred to as “freshmeat”.
Is the track banked?
Nope, we play flat track derby.
What the process for becoming a derby girl?
- Freshmeat – We teach you everything you need to know to play roller derby – from how to skate to the rules of the game.
- Skills Testing – You must pass basic skills testing as defined by the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA). Skills testing includes on the track skills as well as a written rules test.
- Join Our League – By joining you can now attend league practices, open skates, and play in monthly scrimmages.
- Endurance Testing – Skaters must finish 27 laps in 5 minutes.
- Get Drafted! – Once girls are trained and tested, they are drafted to a home team. Girls can now attend team practices and tryout for our travel team, Babes of Thunder.
- Game On – Home teams play championship games from May through August and compete for our beloved Sparkly Skate trophy!
When is practice?
|Day||Freshmeat Practice||League Practice|
|Sun||Noon – 1pm||1-3pm|
|Weds||6 – 7pm||7 – 9pm|
|Thurs||6 – 7pm||7 – 9pm|